Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Loving the Tassels

I have been following the blog cupcakes and cashmere for a while now and I truly love her blog. A few weeks ago she posted this tassel garland wall hanging and I was immediately obsessed. The pink and peaches, the shimmer, I just love it! Unfortunately the company that makes these lovely wall hangings, ConfettiSystem, sells them for $130! Yikes, not in my budget (Maybe one day). So I decided that I would make my own. I headed to Michaels and picked up some tissue paper, and a nice ribbon to accent the colors I planned on using.

This is my inspiration:

I was prepared to have to make my own version of this wall hanging, I did a few testers on some of the colors I did not like and I found that it was pretty difficult to get that twist at the top. I ended up changing my whole plan and my end product was not exactly what I had hoped for, but I am pretty happy with the result!
Didn't have the best lighting in my room, but my wall hanging stretches about 6 or 7 feet. I tried giving it a different look making some of the tissue paper tassels different lengths.
The ribbon I used was a good choice, it has wire on both edges to keep it sturdy. The simplicity of the gold doesn't overwhelm the wall hanging either. I had originally chosen a really sparkly brown ribbon but switched to this ribbon, so happy with my decision!
This is what it looked like before I hung it up, I was still putting it together, but thought the overlap looked pretty cool. Like one big pom-pom.

No comments:

Post a Comment